CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 28, 2010

First week, $100 challenge

So this week starts my $100 challenge!  I will do my grocery shopping on Tuesday this week and I plan on spending only $30.  I will buy Chicken (I usually get bone in with skin because its cheaper--this week at Smiths its .99/lb), Sausage, tortillas (I get these at the bread store by my work for $1.50 for the wheat ones), eggs, oranges, lettuce, tomatoes, limes, cilantro, and cereal (its on sale at Smiths, you buy 4 and get 2 gallons of milk for free!  I will probably get about 10 boxes)  See my upcoming posts for the deals I got this week!!

This is what I'll be cooking this week:

Mon:  Teriyaki chicken with rice (I think I've posted this recipe before)
Tues:  Vegetable Fritatta
Wed:  Tacos (Craigs favorite!)
Thurs:  White bean sausage rigatoni
Fri:  Spicy pan fried fish with salad
Sat:  Chicken Satay with rice pilaf
Sun:  Crock pot BBQ chicken

So if you know me, all of my meals take under 30 min. to cook so I'll post the recipes below for these meals if you are interested in a fast meal!

Vegetable Fritatta:  this is actually a new recipe for me but I've made something similar to this before.

Combine 8 eggs and 1 T basil.  In a skillet combine 1 c. frozen corn, 1/2 c. zucchini and 1/3 c. green onion.  Add 3/4 c. chopped roma tomatoes.  Cook for 5 min or until veges are crisp.  Pour egg mixture on top of veges cook on medium heat.  As it cooks lift edges of the eggs so that uncooked eggs can cook.  Sprinkle with cheese.  I think I will serve it with garlic bread.

White bean sausage rigatoni:

Cook 2 cups rigatoni.  In large saucepan combine 1 can kidney beans, 1 can stewed tomatoes undrained, 8 ounces cooked sausage, 1/3 c. fresh basil or 1 T. dried basil.  Heat mixture thoroughly, put on top of pasta and serve!

Spicy Fried fish:

Prepare dip for fish:  1/4 c. cornmeal, 1/4 c. flour, 3/4 t cayenne pepper, 1/2 t chili powder, 1/2 t garlic powder, 1/2 t paprika.

Dip thawed fish fillets (whatever kind of fish you want, we will have cod) into beaten egg mixture and then into the prepared dip.  Fry in a skillet with canola or olive oil.  Cook 3-4 minutes for each side of the fish.  Drain on paper towels.

Chicken Satay:

Whisk 4 T. peanut butter and 1/3 c. soy sauce, coat 4 pieces of cubed chicken.  Put chicken on wooden skewers (make sure to soak these!!) Broil for 5 min.  Rice pilaf I take the poach of pre-made uncle ben's and serve that (I know, I cheat)

Crock pot BBQ chick:

Take chicken with bones and skin and place in a crock pot with 1 whole container BBQ sauce, on low for 8 hours.  Take out and enjoy.  I will probably serve this with salad...you can never have too much salad!!

1 comments:

shelleyjanae said...

Sounds delightful. I will for sure have to try some of those recipes. I am excited to hear how your challenge goes. Sadly- you have MUCH better deals down there!! Can't wait to hear more!